Returning Student Employees
If you are requesting return of a student employee who has previously worked in your department, please complete a returning student employee form.
- The supervisor specifies the returning student and position
- Student Employment reviews the request and sends the appropriate paperwork to the student
- The student signs the return form and wage notice electronically
- The student and supervisor receive an email notice that the student is ready to return and start date.
Posting a Position to find New Student Candidates
If you wish to post a student position to find new candidates, follow these directions: Posting/Requesting a Student Position
Most student employment positions on campus this year must be filled with workstudy-eligible students. Eligibility will be determined at time of application in SmartRecruiters.
Once a student is moved to the “Recommend for Hire” status student employment must verify that they meet work study eligibility requirements (if applicable) and that they are authorized to work. The time-to-start is primarily dependent on whether or not the student has worked on campus before.
- Students that have never worked on campus need to complete
- Background Check (1-3 days to process)
- Onboarding Paperwork (Personnel information, W-4 tax withholding, direct deposit, etc)
- I-9 Employment Eligibility verification (required original identification documents)
- Time-to-start is dependent on the student completing the necessary steps
- Students that have been setup previously to work on campus do not need to complete a new background check or onboarding.
- When the above steps are completed Student Employment will update the employee record within 2-3 business days.
- The student will be able to begin working and recording hours the following Monday.
Timesheets and Budgets
Approving Student Timesheets
Student Hour Budgets & Dashboards
In September 2023 the Internal Revenue Service affirmed that Augsburg Student Researchers are not considered employees for tax purposes. Student researchers can be paid a stipend directly through Accounts Payable which is reported annually on a 1099-MISC.
Student Employment: Important Reminder
**Please note: Federal law requires that all new student workers MUST complete the new hire forms and background check before work can begin. This will include an in-person visit to Human Resources to complete the I-9 form.
Returning students are not required to complete new hire forms again every year, but they will complete a Wage Form/Offer letter sent from Human Resources. When supervisors send in the returning student employee request form, the wage form will be generated and distributed.