IMPORTANT 2023-2024 TRAVEL GRANT INFORMATION
Note: This policy does NOT apply to adjunct faculty professional development funds
Funds for full-time faculty travel remain restricted due to budget cuts to Augsburg’s Faculty Development Program. Because of this, the Faculty Development Committee (FDC) has updated the grant review procedure and policy to ensure more equitable funding for 2023-2024.
Application Deadlines: To ensure equitable distribution of grant funding, the FDC will be reviewing grants in bulk four times during the year. The deadline for your grant application depends primarily on WHEN you will be traveling/having expenses. Please note that you may submit a grant application at any time before your preferred deadline; however grants will not be reviewed until the deadline closes.
Travel June – August, 2023: Application Deadline March 1, 2023
Travel September – November 2023: Application deadline July 1, 2023
Travel December 2023 – February 2024: Application Deadline October 1, 2023
Applying “early”: If you have extenuating circumstances that require you to apply to an “earlier” deadline than your travel/expenses require, you can do that and provide a justification in your grant application. The decision on acceptance of an “early” application will be at the FDC’s discretion.
Applying “late”: If you submit a grant application after the appropriate deadline, your application will only be considered if there is funding still available for that funding period.
Notification of Award Decision: All applicants will be notified whether or not their application has been funded (fully or partially) within 3 days after the deadline for submission. All applicants that meet the basic requirements (e.g. faculty status, etc…) will be funded unless we receive more applications than can be funded each quarter. If more applications are submitted than we can fund, we will evaluate each application using the Priorities for Grant Funding.
Priorities for Grant Funding: These prioritizations are not absolute, are not weighted equally, and no individual prioritization disqualifies a grant from being funded. These are only in play if we do not have enough funding for all applicants.
- Prioritize pre-tenure faculty vs. tenured or non-tenure track faculty
- Prioritize those who did not receive travel funding in the last fiscal year
- Prioritize presentation/original work vs. participation or attendance only
- Prioritize taking/participating w/students vs. no student involvement
- Prioritize those who have not received travel funding this fiscal year
Thank you for your understanding. Please contact OFD (email@example.com) if you have any questions about this policy or would like more information.
Professional Travel Grants for Faculty
- Currently available from June 1, 2023 – May 31, 2024
- Full-time Faculty professional development funds (including professional membership costs) are capped at $1,500 per fiscal year. If applicable, this limit is prorated by FTE.
- Adjunct Faculty travel funds are capped at $750 per fiscal year and are only available for adjunct faculty members who meet the criteria set for in the SEIU Local 284 Collective Bargaining Agreement for travel funds.
Work Culture Grant
- These grants are intended to foster learning communities, working groups, and other collaborative efforts among faculty and staff. Amounts vary by project but include up to $250 for activities such as teaching, reading, or writing groups.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Grants are first come, first served.