As we approach Thanksgiving, when many of us will gather with friends and family, we need to keep in mind that case rates, positivity rates, and hospitalization rates are very high in Minnesota, including the Twin Cities metropolitan area. (See the 6-week trends in the COVID-19 Dashboard Metrics report.)
We encourage our community members to keep in mind the following advice from the Minnesota Department of Health:
- Outdoors is safer than indoors.
- Avoid crowded, poorly ventilated spaces, and wear masks in indoor public spaces, even when not required.
- If you are sick or have symptoms, do not host or attend a gathering.
- Get tested if you have symptoms of COVID-19 or have close contact with someone who has COVID-19.
- If you are gathering with a group of people from multiple households and potentially from different parts of the country, consider some additional precautions prior to gathering (e.g., lay low before you go, avoid crowded indoor spaces, get tested in advance) to further reduce risk.
- Protect young children and those with weakened immune systems by getting vaccinated.
Also, please remember that, as of November 19, all adults 18 and older are eligible for a COVID-19 booster shot at least six months after the second dose of Pfizer or Moderna or two months after the first dose of Johnson & Johnson. Learn more from the Minnesota Department of Health.