Frequently Asked Questions

How can I keep up to date on what’s happening around campus?

A University-provided e-mail account shall be an official means of communication with students, faculty, and staff of Augsburg University. Students, faculty, and staff are responsible for all information sent to them via the University-provided e-mail account. Students should regularly check their e-mail account. If a student, faculty or staff member chooses to forward their Augsburg e-mail, they are responsible for all information and attachments sent to the forwarded e-mail account. Students will also receive official notices via the A-Mail online publication and should routinely review the A-Mail. Day University students may also receive notices through the student campus mail system (student campus box) and should check their campus mailbox regularly.

Will I have a campus mailbox?

All residential students will get a campus box assigned to them when they first become a residential student.  They will keep this campus box for all the years they live on campus.  An email notification will be sent to new residents with the campus box number shortly before the start of fall semester.  Commuter students can request a campus box if they wish; request from Mailroom staff  10 AM – 1 PM at the Mailroom or the Copy/Mail Supervisor in the Copy Center anytime it is open.

Boxes are not locked, but we encourage students to lock them with a padlock available for rent from the Mailroom, $2/year (personal locks are not allowed).  Marking of the outside of the campus box is not allowed.

Box numbers can be found on Inside Augsburg using the Directory Search function.

Have a question about campus mailboxes? Check with the Copy/Mail Supervisor in the Copy Center, lower level Christensen Center.

What do I do if I experience or see discrimination or bias?

Augsburg University strives to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for all students, staff, faculty, and guests. However, like any community, there are times when inappropriate, hurtful, and/or harmful incidents take place.

Please let us know if you, someone you know, or a group within our campus community, has experienced bias, discrimination, and/or hostility. Augsburg University takes incidents based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sexual orientation, and age very seriously and is ready and willing to provide support and address bias and discrimination within our community.

Many Augsburg University offices and staff members are willing to assist you and provide support. In order to report an incident, you may call, email, or stop by an office in person. You may also ask for a referral to be directed to an appropriate support/resource area. If you are unsure of whom to contact, please contact the Human Resources Office at 612/330-1058 or or the office of Student Affairs at 612-330-1160.

To report discrimination or a bias-incident please use the following link to connect to our online reporting form.

If you are a student who feels discriminated against on the basis of disability, please visit the Disability Grievance Policy for more information.

Please Note: For instances of sexual harassment and/or sexual violence, please refer to the Sexual Misconduct Policy.

In the event of a student hospitalization or family emergency, whom should I notify?

The Student Affairs Office in Memorial Hall 118 should be notified in the event of a student’s hospitalization or family emergency that causes a student to miss class. Phone 612-330-1160 to report the circumstances; a staff member will contact your instructors (and whomever else you would like notified).

How does a student who needs support and specialized services for physical and/or cognitive disabilities find support and services on campus?

The Center for Learning and Accessible Student Services (CLASS) illustrates its commitment to student success at Augsburg University by providing those academic services needed to accommodate individuals with learning, attentional, psychiatric or other cognitive-based disabilities, as well as students with physical disabilities and other health concerns including temporary disabilities.  The CLASS Program and the Groves Accommodations Lab are located on the second floor (link level) of the Lindell Library.  You can also visit their website or call 612-330-1053.

How do I register for an ACTC class?

For information visit the Registrar’s Office ACTC site.

Where can I mail a package? Where do I pick up packages?

To send or pick-up a package, go to Shipping and Receiving, located on the lower level of the Christensen Center.  Show your Augsburg ID to pick-up your package.  You can send a package via Postal Service, FedEx, or UPS.  You can drop off a pre-paid USPS, FedEx or UPS package for pick-up.  Shipping materials may be available, some for free and some for a fee.  Cash, check, or debit/credit is accepted.

Where can I buy stamps?

Singles, books, and rolls of letter and postcard stamps, plus international stamps and mailing envelopes are available in Shipping and Receiving. Cash, check or debit/credit is accepted.

Where can I make copies?

Copy Center, located on the lower level of the Christensen Center and the Lindell Library. Scanning is  available at the Lindell Library.

Where can I buy a Metro bus pass?

Metro Bus passes may be purchased at a discount in the Barnes and Noble Bookstore, located on the main level of OGC. For more information regarding public transit in the Twin Cities metropolitan area, visit

Where can I work out?

Located in the lower level of Si Melby Hall. The Department of Public Safety can give you a FOB and allow your access into the Fitness Center.

How do I join a club or organization?

Contact Campus Activities and Orientation at 612-330-1418 or for information about student clubs and organizations on campus.

Can I attend athletic events on campus?

Students, faculty and staff can attend free of charge. Show your Augsburg ID card at the gate.


For food service hours in the Commons, Nabo and Einstein’s, please visit the dining services websiteHours may vary during academic breaks. Check A-Mail for updates.

Where can I eat if I am not on a meal plan?

You may purchase food and beverages in the dining room, Nabo, or Einstein’s Bagel Coffee Shop, using cash or points purchased through Augsburg’s dining services.

Meal Plans are purchased through Residence Life. The meal portions of each plan, 15-Plus, 10-Plus, and 5-Plus, are only for use in the dining room. The points portion may be used at Nabo or Einstein’s where each food and drink item has a point value. The dining room has a set fee for each – breakfast, lunch, and dinner. For more information on our meal plans, visit the Residence Life website.

The dining room and Einstein’s are located in the Christensen Center. Nabo is located in the Oren Gateway Center.

Where do I find an on-campus job?

All student employment opportunities are posted on Augsburg’s HR website ( Students must apply for positions online. Once they are hired, they must fill out the following forms:
I-9 Form, W-4 Form, Complete a Student Terms of Employment, Direct Deposit (optional), Student New Hire Form (must be completed by supervisor to turn in to Human Resources)

How do I verify my enrollment for my insurance company? My car insurance gives a good student discount – how do I send them verification?

You may obtain enrollment verification by logging into AugNet Records and Registration and clicking on the Enrollment Verification link. You then have the option to “Obtain an Enrollment Certificate” or “Obtain a Good Student Discount Certificate.” When submitting either document to a third party, be sure to include any necessary account or policy numbers for identification purposes.

Verification also may be requested in person at the Enrollment Center.

How do I view my Financial Aid award?

To view your financial aid award, go to Student Financial Services and click on “Track My Financial Aid.”

My family’s financial situation has changed. What should I do?

If your family’s financial situation has changed, you should contact the Student Financial Services office in the Enrollment Center to get a Special Circumstances form. The Enrollment Center phone number is 612-330-1046.

Where can I rent a locker to store my stuff on a day-to-day basis?

If you would like a locker for an entire year, contact Campus Activities and Orientation (CAO). You can check out the locker in person at the CAO office, located in the Auggie’s Nest on the lower level of the Christensen Center. Lockers are provided with locks; you receive the combination. Lockers are available for the entire year on the lower level of the Science Building.

You can also find daily use lockers on the main level of the Christensen Center (next to the Wells Fargo ATM machine at the entrance to the skyway to the Urness/Mortensen lobby). To use, put a quarter in the locker, put your possessions in the locker, close the door and take the key. At the end of the day, you can put the key back in the door, remove your possessions, and get your quarter back.

Where is the Lost & Found?

The Information Desk, main level of the Christensen Center. Departments on campus forward found items to this main depository where they are dated and stored. After several months unclaimed items are donated to charity.

How can I get help on my papers?

The Writing Lab, Lindell Library, street level, offers one-to-one tutoring to students who want help in developing the skills necessary for effective writing.

How do I get a parking permit?

To park in an Augsburg University parking lot, you must purchase a permit. Parking permits are issued to faculty, staff and students. They are numbered, in hangtag form, and must be correctly displayed in vehicle at all times. Permits are non-transferable.

Permits are sold online through AugNet’s parking services link during the month before each term and the rest of the year are available based on supply through the Department of Public Safety, located in the Urness/Mortensen Lobby.

Purchasing an Augsburg parking permit does not guarantee you a parking spot, but it does permit you to park in appropriate campus lots. A campus map including directions and parking information is located here:

Augsburg University permits are for Augsburg parking lots only. A City of Minneapolis street permit is required to park on most streets surrounding the University for longer than the posted limits. These city permits are only available to persons who live on campus and to obtain you must first attain a “proof of residence” letter from Public Safety.

Temporary parking permits for limited time periods are available for purchase online through parking services on AugNet.

Contact the Department of Public Safety at 612–330–1717 with questions concerning parking regulations. A more extensive overview of Parking Policies and Transportation Information is available on the Department of Public Safety website

How do I reserve a room for an event or meeting?

To reserve a room on campus for an event or meeting visit the University Events website.

Where do I go when I get sick?

Please visit the Center for Wellness & Counseling website for information.

Who do I talk to about Study Abroad?

For information about the Study Abroad program visit the Augsburg Abroad website or contact:
Augsburg Abroad
Lower level of Christensen Center

Where do I rent/purchase my textbooks?

Augsburg University Bookstore, located in the Oren Gateway Center.
Those students using financial aid to cover the cost of textbooks may set up a bookstore account. This account allows students to rent/buy in the Augsburg University Bookstore using a declining balance account. Bookstore accounts in the amount of $600 will be automatically opened for all registered students.  Although anything can be charged on your bookstore account, it is highly suggested that students purchase their required books and supplies before the cut off dates.

Student’s accounts will be billed for only what was spent on their bookstore account before credit refunds are issued.  If your bookstore account creates a balance on your account you need to make payments in accordance with your statement.  Please contact Student Financial Services before you purchase books if you are unsure on how you will afford to pay for them.

Due to the financial aid cycle, you can only charge expenses to your bookstore account during specific times.

Please contact Student Financial Services (612) 330-1046 if you have any questions.

For more information on bookstore accounts, visit the Student Financial Services website.

How do I get a copy of my transcript?

Information about ordering a transcript is online at

How do I suppress my directory information on Records and Registration? Will that remove my information from the AugNet Directory as well?

You can suppress the release of your publicly available directory information by accessing the Information Release link in Records and Registration. This will not suppress your information in the online AugNet directoryfollow this link to edit your AugNet directory preferences.

What is FERPA? How do I view my education records and who has access to that information?

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), as amended, provides certain rights to students regarding their education records. Each year Augsburg University is required to give notice of the various rights accorded to students pursuant to FERPA. In accordance with FERPA, you are notified of the following:

Right to Inspect and Review Education Records:
You have the right to review and inspect substantially all of your education records maintained by or at Augsburg University. You must submit a signed written request to the Registrar to request a review. We will make a good effort to provide that review as soon as practical, however, no later than 45 days after receiving the request.

Right to Request Amendment of Education Records:
You have the right to seek to have corrected any parts of an education record which you believe to be inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of your right to privacy. This includes the right to a hearing to present evidence that the record should be changed if Augsburg decides not to alter your education records according to your request.

Right to Give Permission for Disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information
You have the right to be asked and to give Augsburg your permission to disclose personally identifiable information contained in your education records, except to the extent that FERPA and the regulations regarding FERPA authorized disclosure without your permission. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate education interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees, or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing their tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill their professional responsibility.

Right to Withhold Disclosure of “Directory Information”:
FERPA uses the term “Directory Information” to refer to those categories of personally identifiable information that may be released for any purpose at the discretion of Augsburg University without notification of the request or disclosure to the student. Under FERPA you have the right to withhold the disclosure of the “Directory Information” listed below. Please consider very carefully the consequences of any decision by you to withhold “Directory Information.” Should you decide to inform Augsburg University not to release “Directory Information,” any future request for such information from persons or organizations outside of Augsburg University will be refused.

“Directory Information” includes the following:
the student’s name (legal first and last name, preferred first name)
the student’s address
the student’s telephone number
the student’s email address
the student’s date and place of birth
the student’s major and minor fields of study
the student’s academic class level
the student’s enrollment status (FT/HT/LHT)
the student’s participation in officially recognized activities and sports
the student’s degrees and awards received (including dates)
the weight and height of members of athletic teams
the student’s dates of attendance
previous educational agencies or institutions attended by the student
the student’s photograph
Augsburg University will honor your request to withhold all “Directory Information,” but cannot assume responsibility to contact you for subsequent permission to release it. Augsburg assumes no liability for honoring your instructions that such information be withheld. The Registrar’s Office must be notified in writing of your intent to withhold your “Directory Information.”

Right to Complain to the FERPA Office:
You have the right to file a complaint with the Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave. SW, Washington, DC 20202, concerning Augsburg’s failure to comply with FERPA.

Reporting Educational Information
Letters of reference must be requested in writing and explicitly indicate what information may be reported in the letter.

This information can also be found in the Student Guide: FERPA

Where do I arrange for a tutor?

Students may use the Tutor Request Form. For more information please visit our website.

Where do I go with questions about how to activate my account, request more printing units, wireless help and other technology related questions?

First, check out the Student Computing tech desk website. If you can’t find the answer to your question there, feel free to contact the TechDesk, Lindell Library, Room 104, at 612-330-1400 or e-mail